• 1/2 cup broken Wheat or Wheat germ
• 1/2 cup broken jowar (pearl millet)
• 1 tbsp toasted white rolled oats
• 4-5 cashewnuts, broken
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 tomato, finely chopped
• 1 stalk Curry leaves
• 2 green chillies, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
• 1 Lemon juice extracted and strained
• 1/2 tsp each mustard and Cumin seeds
• 2 pinches Asafoetida powder
• 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• 1 tbsp oil
- Dry roast both wheatgerm and jowar in a heavy pan for 2 mins. Allow to cool.
- Pressure cook roasted wheat and jowar together in 2 cups of water. Approximately 2 whistles are required to cook the broken granules.
- Remove and allow to cool. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add seeds, curry leaves and chillies and let them splutter.
- Add onions, tomatoes and stir-fry for 2 mins.
- Add rolled oats and the strained pressure-cooked mixture.
- Add turmeric, salt, lemon juice and coriander.
- Cover and cook on low, till it is fluffy and till the excess moisture evaporates.
- Serve hot with a cold iced tea or as a hot snack by itself.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering