• 2 – ripe pineapples.
• 1 kg – sugar.
• 4 sticks – cinnamon.
• 8 – cloves.
• 4 – bay leaves.
- Remove the outer skin of the pineapples then dig out all the eyes and thorns.
- Cut each pineapple into 8 slices.
- Take a large pan and lay 4 slices of pineapple at the bottom.
- Sprinkle a good quantity of sugar, one bay leaf, a few cloves and a piece of cinnamon over the slices.
- Make 4 layers of the pineapple in this way, covering the uppermost layer with a larger quantity of sugar.
- Cook on medium heat till the sugar melts.
- Lower heat, then simmer till the pineapple slices are tender and change colour.
- Remove the pineapple slices and keep aside.
- Continue to boil the syrup till thick.
- Return the pineapple slices to the syrup and simmer till the syrup is very thick.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator and use when required.
Recipe courtesy of Bridget White