• 1 cup – Coconut copra, dry and grated
• 4 – whole Garlic pods with flakes
• Red Chilli powder as per taste
• 2 tsp – white sesame seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Tamarind pulp
• salt to taste
• Sugar to taste
- Toast the grated coconut over medium heat until light brown and crisp.
- Toast the sesame seeds until golden.
- Grind the sesame seeds and peeled garlic cloves together to prepare a coarse powder.
- Mix the powder, coconut, chilli powder, tamarind pulp, salt and sugar (do not add water).
- Crush the mixture using a mortar and pestle until all the ingredients have blended well.
- The mixture will turn into a soft ball as the coconut and sesame seeds release oil.
- Serve the garlic chutney with dal-rice, spicy snacks, bread bhakri or potato vada.
- Recipe Courtesy: Mangalorean Recipes