• 10 pieces – fish
• 1/2 cup -coconut
• 1 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 1/3 tsp – Turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• Tamarind – 1 (gooseberry size)
• Small Onion (cheriyulli) – 2-3. If you don’t get this then 1/4 cup big Onion, cut to pieces
• Garlic – 2 small ones, cut
• 2-3 – Green chillies
• 2 stems – Curry leaves
• 2 tbsp – Coconut or other oil
• coriander powder – as per need
- Heat a saucepan, pour oil and fry onion and garlic till light brown.
- Simmer the flame, add the chilli, turmeric, coriander powder, salt and saute for 30 seconds.
- Then switch off the gas stove and add grated coconut to the sauteed mixture.
- Add tamarind and grind it to a paste.
- Arrange the fish, green chillies, curry leaves in a saucepan one next to the other and then pour this paste on it.
- The fish should immerse in the paste.
- If this is not enough, pour water till it covers the fish.
- When it boils, simmer it and cook for 10 mins or till the gravy is thick enough.
- Pour oil around the gravy, put some curry leaves and take it off the stove.
- Shake it a bit so that the oil spreads around the gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Maya