• 3 cups – Milk
• 1/2 cup – plain flour
• 1 tbsp- Butter
• 2 tbsp- cheese, grated
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
- In a dry heavy sauce pan, dry roast the flour till light pinkish in colour.
- Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Melt butter in the pan, add half the milk.
- Mix the remaining milk in the cooled flour to form a smooth paste.
- When milk comes to a boil, add paste and stir continuously.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Cook till the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon thickly.
- Sprinkle salt and fresh ground pepper and stir to mix well.
- Add grated cheese to the mixture.
- Use as required in individual recipes.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering