3 teaspoon butter
2 1/2 teaspoon flour (maida)
3 cups milk
1 small peeled onion
1 piece bay leaf
4 whole black pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
Pinch of nutmeg powder
Salt to taste
1. Heat milk in a large pan and after some time add bay leaf, whole black pepper and onion pricked with cloves.
2. Bring it to a boil. Remove from heat, sieve and keep the milk aside.
3. Melt butter in a sauce pan (preferably non-stick), stir in the flour and sauté vigorously over a low to medium heat without browning for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Slowly add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously, to produce a smooth sauce.
5. Bring it to a boil and allow it to thicken, reduce the heat and cook for a few minutes.
6. Season with salt, nutmeg and black pepper powder.