• 15 – 20 – baby Potatoes
• 1 cup – Rice
• 2 – big sized onions, sliced
• 1 – big sized tomato, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp – Garam Masala powder
• 1 tsp – chilli powder
• Garlic and ginger, chopped
• Handful of Mint and Coriander leaves
• 2 tbsp – flaked Almonds
• Oil / Ghee
• For the aromatic liquid:
• 5 Cardamom
• 1 tsp of Black Peppercorns
• 2 – 3 Bay Leaves
• 1 tsp of aniseed
• 8-10 Cloves
• Small Cinnamon stick
- Put the spices into a pan with 2 cups of water.
- Bring the water to boil, turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow to infuse into a savoury aromatic liquid.
- Pressure cook the baby potatoes for 2 whistles, peel the skin.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry these baby potatoes, till it turns slightly brown.
- Place them in a kitchen towel, to drain off the excess oil.
- In the same pan, add 2 tsp of ghee and fry some sliced onions until golden brown and reserve for garnish.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped garlic and ginger and fry for a min.
- Add the remaining chopped onions and fry until soft.
- Allow it to cool and whizz the mixture in a blender.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add in the coriander and mint leaves.
- Fry for a minute, add the grinded mixture and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Now, add the chopped tomatoes along with the spice powders. Mix well and cook in low flame until the oil begins to separate.
- When the tomatoes get blended well, tip in the baby potatoes and mix it gently. Cook for few more mins. Remove from heat and reserve.
- For rice:
- In a pan, add the rice along with savoury liquid, strain and add it.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook until the liquid gets evaporated.
- Finally rice is ready.
- Mix the prepared baby potato masala with rice and enjoy.
- Before serving, garnish with fried onions and flaked almonds.