• 1/2 kg – Brinjals halved
• 2 Onions
• 5 Garlic Cloves
• 1tsp – Ginger paste
• 1 Tomato sliced
• 1/2 tsp – Jeera
• 2 Bay Leaf
• 3 tbsp – Mustard oil
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp – Kashmiri chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp – Sugar
• Salt to taste
• Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat the oil and lightly fry the halved brinjal and keep aside. To the remaining oil add a pinch of sugar and the jeera. Then add the sliced onions and the garlic.
- When they turn golden, add the ginger paste and tomato and cook for some more time.
- Then add the turmeric, chilli powder salt and sugar and add a little water.
- Cook for some time. Then add the bay leaf and the brinjals.
- Add a little more water if required.
- Cook till oil separates. Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatis.
Recipe courtesy of Jahara Chatterjee