• Brinjal (egg plant) – 1 big size
• Tomato – 2 big size
• Carrot – 1 big size
• Peas – 50 g
• Moong dal – 100 g
• Tamarind – small Lemon sized ball
• sambar powder
• Turmeric powder
• For seasoning: oil
• Mustard Seeds -1 tsp
• Green chillies – 2
• Urad Dal – 2 tsp
• Asafoetida – 1 pinch
• Curry leaves
- Cut tomatoes and pressure cook them with moong dal, turmeric powder and water.
- Dice brinjal and carrot into small pieces.
- Soak tamarind for 10 minutes and extract the juice from it to make 2 cups. Add diced brinjal, carrot and peas to the tamarind juice and cook till the vegetables become soft. Add salt and sambar powder and cook for some more time.
- Smash the cooked moong dal and tomatoes by hand and add the same to the boiling gothsu and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season them with mustard seeds, green chilli, urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida and add cut cilantro. Serve with ven pongal.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi