• 500 g – cabbage, clean and chopped
• For the dough:
• 1 tbsp – chilli paste(red chilli)
• 1/2 inch – ginger, minced
• 1/2 tsp – soda bi-carbonate
• 1 tsp – Lime juice
• To taste – salt
• 1 pinch – Asafoetida
• 1 cup – Wheat flour
• 1 cup – raw Rice flour
• 1 cup – gram flour
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 2 tbsp – sweet oil
• For seasoning:
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seed
• 1 bunch – Curry leaves
• 8 – dry red chillies, cut in bits.
• 1/2 – coconut, scraped for garnishing.
- Clean and chop the cabbage well.
- Mix all the dough ingredients with a little water, all the flours and make a pliable dough. Allow it to rest on the table, covered with a moist cloth, for some time.
- With palms, moistened with water, flatten the dough on the table and roll it up.
- Steam it in the tandoor or the pressure cooker. Steam, for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- When done, remove and cut the rolls into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a vessel, heat two tbsps of sweet oil or any other brand and fry one tsp of mustard seed, curry leaves and bits of red dry chillies.
- Fry the cabbage roll pieces, in the same oil for some time, till they are coated with the oil.
- Place the cabbage rolls in a serving dish, and garnish with fresh coconut flakes.
- Recipe Courtesy: Mangalorean Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Walter