Popular South Indian Chutney made with coconut and spices
1 cup grated fresh coconut
2 whole dry red chilies
2 teaspoon white urad dal (split black lentils)
1 small piece dry tamarind (optional)
1 tablespoon dahi (yogurt)
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4-5 fresh curry leaves
1 tablespoon oil
1. Heat oil in a pan, add urad dal, chilies and allow it to crackle.
2. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
3. In a blender grind the coconut, yogurt, tamarind, salt, fried urad dal and chilies with limited amount of water to thick chutney.
4. Now to prepare tadka take a small sauce pan and heat oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and allow it to crackle.
5. Remove from heat and mix the tadka in the chutney.
Cooking time: 15 minutes