A spicy and tangy soup famous in south India
1/2 cup tuwar dal (split gram)
Pinch of turmeric powder
1 tbsp rasam powder
2 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 sprig curry leaves
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp sugar
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tsp oil or ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook tuwar dal with turmeric powder until done.
2. Mix tamarind pulp with 2 cups of water.
3. Heat oil, add hing, mustard seeds and curry leaves and allow to crackle.
4. Now add rasam powder, tamarind water, salt, sugar and boil for 5-10 minutes.
5. Add cooked dal and about 1-2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and remove from fire.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
7. For tomato rasam, add 2 chopped tomatoes after step 4.
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes