Paratha made with left over dal and spices
1 cup of whole meal (wheat) flour
1/4 cup gram flour (besan)
1 cup dal (left over from the previous day)
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Water for kneading
Oil for shallow frying
1. Sieve wheat flour, gram flour and salt together. Mix red chilli powder, garam masala, kasoori methi, dal and oil well using your hands.
2. Add little water at a time and knead to make a stiff to medium dough. Cover with a muslin cloth and keep for 10 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into small balls of equal portions. Roll each ball into a shape of small round roti (puri).
4. Apply oil or ghee on one side and fold the roti into a semi circle and fold it inwards.
5. Again apply oil and fold into a triangle.
6. Apply a little dry flour and roll it into a full-sized paratha.
7. Greasing both sides with ghee, cook until both sides turn golden brown and paratha is cooked.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes