• 6 firm ripe Tomatoes
• 2 cups – fresh curd, beaten
• 1.5 cups – kabuli channa, boiled(1/2 cup when dry)
• 2 tbsp – Channa dal
• 1 tsp – ginger, grated
• 1 tsp – Mint leaves,finely chopped
• 1 tbsp – coriander leaves, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp – Garam Masala powder
• 1.5 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 1 tbsp – sugar, powdered
• 1 tbsp – cumin seeds, crushed
• salt to taste
• 2 tbsp – Tamarind chutney
- Quarter tomatoes and remove insides carefully.
- Beat curd, add 1/2 cumin, salt to taste, 1/2 sugar, keep aside.
- Keep the quartered tomato boats aside.
- Pressure cook channa and dal till soft.
- Drain and mash coarsely.
- Add garam masala, red chilli, 1/2 sugar, cumin, salt, mint, ginger.
- Heat in a heavy pan, stirring continuously, till a soft lump is formed.
- Adjust seasoning and salt if required.
- Fill each tomato quarter with this mixture, pressing down gently into hollow.
- Arrange side by side in a shallow dish.
- Pour seasoned curd over the quarters to cover all.
- Drizzle tamarind chutney over it, and sprinkle a few pinches of red chilli powder.
- Garnish by sprinkling chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve immediately, as a snack or a salad.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi