• 2 cups – Urad Dal
• 3 cups – Sugar
• 300 ml. water
• Saffron color
• 1/2 tsp – Cardamom ground
• 500 gms. Ghee to fry
- Soak urad dal overnight in plenty of water.
- Wash and drain. Grind to fine thick batter. Put water little by little.
- Add colour and mix very well.
- If using a mixie, beat the dal well by hand till fluffy after grinding.
- Keep aside for 3 hours. More if weather is cold.
- Make 1 strand sugar syrup.
- Add cardamom powder to syrup.
- Using either an imarti bottle (with nozzle) or cloth with a hole, form imartis in the hot ghee. Lower flame and allow to crisp turning once.
- Remove from ghee, drain and dip in hot syrup.
- Soak for 3-4 minutes, drain and serve.
- Repeat for remaining batter.
- Make 4-5 imartis at a time, depending on size of frying pan.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi