Large crepe made with fermented rice and lentil batter, stuffed with a spicy potato masala
3 cups (600 gm) long grain rice
1 cup (200 gm) urad dal (spilt black gram)
2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2-3 large boiled coarsely mashed potatoes
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3-4 green chilies, finely chopped
1 inch grated ginger
1 sprig curry leaves, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For Dosa Batter
1. Wash rice and leave overnight to soak well.
2. Wash urad dal and soak with fenugreek seeds and leave overnight.
3. Next day grind rice and dal separately to a fine paste.
4. Now mix well, add salt and keep overnight to ferment in a warm place.
5. Next day batter is ready to use.
6. Heat oil, add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
7. Add turmeric powder, green Chilies, ginger, curry leaves, urad dal and fry for half a minute.
8. Now add onions and fry until transparent.
9. Add potatoes, salt and mix well. Remove from heat.
10. Mix chopped coriander leaves in the potato mixture and keep aside to cool.
For Masala Dosa
11. Grease a flat griddle (tava) with some oil and heat it. The heat should be medium or slightly higher.
12. When the tava is hot, pour ladleful of batter on to the griddle.
13. Spread the batter, using circular motions with the ladle, to make a thin circle.
14. Drizzle oil around the edges and on top.
15. Let it cook to a nice golden brown.
16. Place the cooled filling in the center.
17. Fold both sides over lapping each other to form a cylindrical shape.
18. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes