Yummy and delightful combination of five pulses
1 tablespoon urad dal (split black lentils)
11/2 tablespoon yellow tuwar dal (split gram)
1 tablespoon moong dal (green gram)
11/2 tablespoon chana dal (bengal gram)
1 tablespoon masoor dal (split red lentils)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 green cardamom
1 stick cinnamon
4 small red chilies
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomato finely chopped
2 green chilies finely chopped
2 teaspoon ginger finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoon chopped coriander
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash all the dals, soak for 15 minutes and then drain.
2. Add water, salt, haldi powder and cook in a pressure cooker until soft.
3. Heat oil in a wok or kadhai, fry cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and red chilli until they begin to crackle.
4. Add green chilies, ginger and fry for a minute.
5. Now add onion and fry until golden brown.
6. Add tomatoes and fry until oil separates. Now add red chilli powder, garam masala and fry for a minute.
7. Add the pressure cooked dals, water (if necessary), lemon juice and boil for 8-10 minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes