3 medium raw mangoes (chopped in chunks)
1 tablespoon crushed mustard seeds
1/2 tablespoon crushed fenugreek seeds (methi)
1/2 tablespoon aniseed (sauf)
1/2 cup red chilli powder
1/2 cup salt
1/5 cup turmeric powder
1 cup oil (any refined oil)
glass, china or earthen pickle jar
1. Place chunks in jar. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon salt & 1/2 the turmeric.
2. Shake the jar so the pieces are evenly coated. Keep aside shake jar every 10-12 hours, for 2 days.
3. On the third day empty the contents into a non-iron colander and allow the water to drain for 15-20 minutes.
4. Spread out mango chunks on an old kitchen towel for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
5. Heat oil in a bowl, keep aside and let it be cool.
6. In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients left.
7. Add the mangoes add half the oil mix very well with clean dry hands or a spatula.
8. Transfer to a clean jar and press down lightly.
9. Pour remaining oil on top.
10. Achar will be ready to eat in 10-15 days.
11. Mango chunks should be completely immersed in oil mixture, leaving 2 cm of oil border on top.
12. Take out in small quantities for use in a small glass jar.