Green and healthy rice cooked with spinach and tomato
2 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes finely chopped
1 1/2 cup washed, finely chopped spinach (palak)
1 teaspoon fresh coriander finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander (dhaniya) powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Cook spinach until tender and no water remains.
2. Wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes. Drain rice and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add cumin seeds, when they crackle add onion and saute until brown.
4. Add drained rice and stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, cooked spinach, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well.
6. Add 3 cups of water and bring to boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to very low.
7. Continue to cook for 20-23 minutes until no water remains and rice is tender.
8. Remove the lid and garnish with fresh coriander.
Cooking time: 30