• 1 large seedless Brinjal / Aubergine
• 2 Onions chopped
• 2 tsp chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
• 2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1/2 cup Tomato juice / puree
• 2 pieces Cinnamon
• 2 tbsp Vinegar
• 1 tsp Sugar
• Salt to taste
• 3 tbsp oil
- Cut the brinjal into medium size pieces and soak in a bowl of water to which a pinch of salt has been added.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cinnamon and fry for some time.
- Now add the chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, sugar and tomato puree and fry till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the cut the brinjal, vinegar and a little water and simmer till the gravy is sufficiently thick and the brinjal is cooked.
- Serve with rice or chapattis.
Recipe courtesy of Bridget White