• 1 – Cauliflower
• 1 can – Coconut Milk
• 1 – onion, medium sized, ground to fine paste
• 1 tsp – Ginger paste
• 2 – Cinnamon sticks
• 5 to 6 – Cloves
• 3 to 4 – Cardamoms
• 1 – Bay Leaf
• 2 – Dried red chillies
• 1 pinch – Red Chilli powder
• 1 pinch – Turmeric
• 1/2 tsp – Sugar
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces.
- Lightly fry till almost cooked. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add the sugar. As soon as it caramelises, add red chillies, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- The aroma of the spices will come forth.
- Immediately, add onion paste and ginger paste.
- Fry well until oil leaves the sides and the paste is brown in colour.
- Add the red chilli powder diluted in a little bit of water and the turmeric.
- When the masala seems done, add the can of coconut milk.
- Bring the gravy to a boil.
- Add the fried cauliflower and cook in the gravy for about 15 minutes.
- Check to see if it is soft and cooked.
- Serve hot with rice, puris or parathas.
Recipe courtesy of Chatterjee, Sirsha Asoke