• red lentils, split (masoor daal) – 1.5 cups
• fresh Mint leaves – 1 medium bunch
• Onions – 2 medium sized
• Garlic – 3-4 Cloves
• oil – 3 tbsp to deep fry
• Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
• dried breadcrumbs – 1/3 cup
• salt to taste
• pepper powder – to taste
• Refined flour (maida) – 2 tbsp
- Pick, wash dal and soak in three cups of water for thirty minutes. Drain and leave aside; clean, wash and finely chop mint leaves. Peel, wash and chop onions and garlic. Heat oil in a pan, add garlic, stir for a moment and add onions. Saute for three to four minutes till onions turn soft.
- Add dal and cook for a three to four minutes .
- Add about two and half cups of water and boil dal till soft and all liquid is absorbed.
- Mash dal, cool and mix with tomato puree, mint, dried breadcrumbs, salt and pepper powder.
- Divide it into small equal portions, form them into a round take shape and coat with refined flour.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry ticks until crisp and golden brown in colour.
- Drain onto an absorbent paper and serve hot with chutney of your choice.
Recipe courtesy of Sneha Swami