• 1 cup – Urad Dal
• 1 tsp – Rice flour
• 1/2 tsp – pepper Corns
• Salt to taste
• Oil for frying
- Clean the urad dal and soak it for 30 minutes
- Drain, grind the dal by sprinkling a little water, to a coarse paste.
- Add the pepper corns and salt
- Just give a pulse or two to break the pepper corns and take the coarse paste in a bowl.
- To this urad dal paste, add rice flour and 1 tsp of hot oil and mix well
- Take a plastic paper and grease it with oil.
- Take 1 lemon size ball of the urad dal batter and place it on top of the plastic paper
- Cover the plastic paper with another greased plastic paper
- Place a flat bowl on top of the cover and press the bowl gently to make a flat round vada as thin as possible. Apply the pressure evenly.
- The patti should be very thin to get a crispy vada.
- Gently remove the top cover and with a wet index finger make a hole in the middle.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Gently remove the plastic cover from the vadai patti and deep fry all the vadas.
- Drain excess oil on a kitchen towel.
- Recipe courtesy: Subbu’s Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Subbalakshmi Ranganathan