• Basmati Rice – 2 tbsp
• Milk – 2 litres
• Sugar – 250 ml
• Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
• Rose essence – 8 drops
• Cashew nuts – 1/2 cup
• Currants – 2 tbsp
- Cook the rice in 1.5 litres of milk, stirring all the time.
- Add the sugar and boil for some time.
- Pour the rest of the milk and boil till it is reduced to 1000 ml.
- Cut the nuts into long thin slices and put them into the boiling milk along with currants.
- Take payasam off the fire and stir till it is cold.
- Add the essence and the cardamom powder.
Recipe courtesy of Nandini Ravi