• 1 kg – Red dry chilli
• 1 tsp – oil
• For preserving: Small blocks of Asafoetida or salt
- For a deep colour but a not too spicy taste, choose the long, shiny, thick, dried chillies.
- Sun them till crisp.
- Break off stalks and discard.
- While pounding add a tsp of oil to a kg of chillies.
- This will act as a preservative.
- Once powdered, pack in a ziplock or seam-seal polythene bags. Or in sterile glass jars with airtight lids.
- Put small blocks of asafoetida or spread some salt on top of the powder to preserve from getting spoilt for a longer time.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering