• Spinach – 1 bunch
• For masala:
• Methi seeds – 1 tsp
• Dhaniya seeds – 1 tsp
• Dry chillies – 3 or 4
• Tamarind – a lime-sized ball
• salt to taste
• For seasoning:
• Oil – 2 or 3 tbps
• 1/2 tsp each of urad dal, Chana dal, Mustard Seeds
• few Curry leaves
• pinch of Asafoetida
- Dry roast methi seeds, dhania seeds and dry chillies on a tawa. Grind them and make a fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in some water and extract the juice.
- Heat oil in a pan. Roast all the seasoning ingredients.
- Add chopped spinach and salt.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 mins.
- When the spinach is tender and half cooked, add the ground masala and tamarind juice into it.
- Simmer till spinach is completely cooked.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Vasudha