• Raw Rice (preferably basmati) – 1 cup
• Rava – 1 tbsp
• Grated Coconut – 1 cup
• Yeast – 1/4 tsp
• Sugar – 2 tsp
• Salt to taste
- Soak rice for 1.5 hours.
- Cook rava on a low flame in 1/2 a cup of water.
- Stir till it forms a thick paste. Leave it to cool.
- Soak yeast in a little water for 5 minutes.
- Now, grind soaked rice, rava, grated coconut, sugar.
- After the whole mixture is ground to a fine paste, add the yeast and once again grind the whole thing.
- Then remove the mixture to a vessel and keep it for 10 hours to ferment.
- Add salt.
- Pour a big spoon of the mixture on a hot tava and quickly twist the vessel once so that you get a thin layer in the side and a thick portion in the middle.
- Leave it to get cooked on a low flame, till the edges become light golden colour.
- Appam goes well with veg stew.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi