• Chicken – 1.5 kg
• 1 – onion, halved
• 2 Cloves
• 115 g – streaky bacon, chopped (optional)
• 1 liter – vegetable stock or water
• 4 – Celery sticks, quartered
• 4 – carrots, quartered
• 4 – turnips, quartered
• 12 – small Leeks
• black pepper, ground as required
• Bay Leaves to garnish
• salt as required
- Put the chicken in a large dish. Push 1 clove into each onion half and add them in the dish with the bacon.
- Add enough stock to cover and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper, skim the scum from the surface, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the celery, carrots and turnips, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook for another 15 minutes, until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a serving plate.
- Boil the left over liquid till it forms a thick sauce.
- Pour this sauce over the chicken and the vegetables and garnish with bay leaves.