• 3 – Brinjal
• 1 – Tomato
• 1 – Onion
• 2 tbsp – oil
• 1/4 tsp – Tamarind paste
• 3 – Green chillies
• 4 – Red Chillies
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Methi seeds
• 1 tsp -cumin seeds
• a pinch of Asafoetida
• salt to taste
- Cut the brinjals into one-inch pieces and put them in salt water.
- Cut the tomato and onion into small pieces.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp of oil in a saucepan and fry the brinjals until half done.
- Add the onion and tomato pieces and fry until the brinjal is very soft. Leave aside for cooling.
- In a separate pan, add 1/2 tbsp of oil. Add mustard and methi seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add cumin, asafoetida and red chillies.
- When the seasoning cools down enough, grind together with green chillies, salt and tamarind.
- Mash the fried brinjal-onion mixture well and mix it with the ground paste.
Recipe courtesy of Radhika Jandhyala