• 1kg – Sugar
• 1/2 litre – water
• 10gm – chandan (sandalwood) powder
• 4 – leaves warak (beaten silver sheets used on mithai)
• 2 tbsp – Milk
• 25 – Cardamoms (peeled and coarsely ground)
• 1 – Lemon (juice)
- Boil the water along with sugar.
- After one boil, add milk.
- Spoon off the dirt collected on top.
- Add cardamoms and stir at regular intervals.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- After 30 minutes, remove the sugar syrup from gas.
- Tie the chandan powder in a fine muslin cloth and add this (potli) bag to the sugar syrup.
- Cover the vessel with a lid immediately.
- Keep aside overnight.
- The next day strain and add the warak (crush it slightly with your fingers).
- Store the sharbat in a dry sterilized bottle.
- To serve:
- In a glass, pour 3 to 4 tbsp chandan sharbat and add sufficient water and crushed ice.
- Mix well and serve chilled.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja