• Chicken- 1
• Oil – 8-10 tbsp
• Finely sliced Onions – 2
• Slit Green chillies – 4-5
• A few Curry leaves
• Tomatoes, chopped – 2-3
• Chilli Powder -1.5 tbsp
• Coriander powder – 2-3 tbsp
• Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
• Salt to taste
• Juice from a Lime
• Potatoes – 4 or 5 skinned & cut lengthwise
• Grind to a paste:
• Ginger and Garlic together
• A few Cashewnuts or almonds, Khus Khus (soak the Khus Khus in hot water for 15 mins before grinding or broil the kuskus & then grind) and sombu.
• Grind Coconut separately.
• Garam Masala Powder or you could use whole spices.
- Fry sliced onions, green chillies, curry leaves & whole Spices in oil till onions are brown.
- Add ground ginger-garlic paste & fry on a low heat for 2 mins till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the Kus kus-Sombu paste & fry for another 2 mins.
- Add the turmeric/chilly/coriander powders & fry till oil comes to the surface.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes & fry till tomato pieces are soft & mashable.
- Add the coconut paste and mix nicely till it blends with the masala.
- Now add potato pieces & chicken pieces, mix well, pour sufficient of water to cook the vegetable & chicken, cover & leave to cook.
- When the chicken & potato is cooked & the gravy thickened to your requirement, remove the curry from fire & add the juice of the lime.
- Mix & serve.
Recipe courtesy of Pearl Subramanian