• Arbi – 1kg
• Poha (beaten rice) – 1 cup
• Red Chilli – 4-5
• Hing powder – 1/4 tsp
• Haldi powder – 1/2 tsp
• salt to taste
• Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
• Oil – less than 1 cup
- In a mixer, dry-grind the poha, red chillies, hing powder, haldi powder, and salt into a coarse mixture (like suji).
- Wash the arbi thoroughly.
- Pressure-cook the arbi with 2 cups of water to make the vegetable just a little soft. Turn off the heat as soon as steam builds up in the cooker.
- Cool the arbi in cold water and peel.
- Cut to 1/2 inch round pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add the arbi and the poha-chilli masala.
- Shallow-roast in simmering heat until crisp (do not cover the pan).
Recipe courtesy of Vasanthi