• 1/2 lb – skinless Chicken (preferably breast pieces)
• 10 – Clove leaves
• 1/2 tsp – ground Cardamom
• 1 sq inch – Ginger
• 5 – Garlic buds
• 1 tsp – Cinnamon powder
• 1 tsp – ground black pepper
• Salt to taste
• 3 – large Tomatoes
• 3 – large Onions
• Turmeric – 1 tsp
• Jalapeno peppers or mirchi – to taste
• 1 tsp – Poppy Seeds
• 1 cup – water
• 1 tbsp – Olive oil
- Cut the onions into pieces 1/4 of a square inch. Cut the tomatoes.
- Prepare a paste of garlic and ginger. Chop the jalapeno peppers.
- Cut the chicken into sizable pieces.
- Heat oil on very low flame. Add the onions and stir until light brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, jalapenos and turmeric. Add a pinch of salt, and saute well.
- Add in ginger-garlic paste, poppy seeds and the chicken pieces and wait for the sizzle to settle.
- Add a cup of water, then the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and black pepper.
- Cover the vessel and cook for 15 minutes on medium high flame.
- Partly open the vessel lid to let out the moisture.
- Cook for another 10 minutes on low flame.
- Taste for sourness and saltiness and also check if the broth and chicken have absorbed the spices thoroughly.
- Serve with starch-free rice.
Recipe courtesy of Sunil