A famous Indian sweet made of cashewnuts
2 cups cashewnut (soaked in water for 1 hour)
1 cup sugar
Water (for sugar syrup) as required
1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
1-2 drops kevada essence
2 chandi (silver) warak for decoration
1. Drain and blend cashewnut to a fine paste, use as little water as possible.
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, boil water and sugar to make sugar syrup. Cook until syrup of two to three-string consistency is prepared.
3. Add the paste in the sugar syrup once done and cook over a medium heat.
4. Stir continuously until a soft lump is formed.
5. Add ghee, essence and mix well.
6. Spread on a clean greased work surface.
7. Roll lightly with a rolling pin, to a desired thickness.
8. Apply the silver warak on top for decoration. Cool and cut into diamond shaped barfis.
Cooking time: 40 minutes