Soft and crunchy fried Vadas is a traditional South Indian recipe, made from fermented rice and lentil batter
1 1/2 cup urad dal (split black gram, skinless)
1 tbsp raw rice
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
8-10 curry leaves, chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp crushed black peppers
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak urad dal and rice for 6-8 hours or overnight.
2. Next day grind into a fine paste.
3. Add salt, asafoetida, curry leaves, cumin powder and crushed peppercorns to the batter and mix well.
4. Heat oil in a kadhai. Oil should be sufficient for the vadas to fry properly.
5. Wet your palms and take batter into the palms.
6. Shape into balls and make a hole with a finger in the centre like a doughnut.
7. Deep-fry this, over medium to high heat, until golden brown and crisp.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes