Sweet chana dal prepared with raisins and coconut
1 cup chana dal (bengal gram)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 bay leaf
3-4 cloves (lavang)
1 whole dry red chilli
2 tablespoon fresh grated coconut
2 tablespoon raisins (kishmish) (soaked in water)
4 teaspoon sugar
Chopped coriander for garnishing
2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
Salt to taste
1. Wash chana dal, soak for 15 minutes.
2. Add water, salt, turmeric powder and cook in a pressure cooker until soft.
3. Heat ghee in a kadhai, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, bay leaf, red chilli, cloves and allow it to crackle.
4. Add coconut and fry for 3-5 minutes.
5. Now add pressure cooked dal, sugar and raisins.
6. Add water (if necessary) and boil for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes