• 2 cups – fresh plain yogurt (curds)
• 6 cups – chilled water
• 1/4 cup – coriander leaves, finely chopped
• 1 stalk – Curry leaves
• 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 2 to 3 pinches – Asafoetida powder
• 1 tsp – Ginger grated
• 1 – Green chilli
• salt to taste
• 1 tsp – oil
- Beat curd with hand-whipper till smooth. Add water and churn well till mixed.
- Place ginger in a muslin cloth and hold it like a pouch.
- Rub into buttermilk to allow ginger juice to blend into it.
- Add salt. Break chillies into two halves.
- Heat a small pan and add oil.
- When hot, add seeds, asafoetida and allow to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, chillies, and pour while sizzling into buttermilk.
- Dip pan in buttermilk if possible and remove.
- Add coriander leaves and stir to mix everything.
- Pour into a large ceramic, glass or earthen pot or jug.
- Chill for one or two hours till required.
- Serve in tall chilled glass.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering