• 1 cup- white rice.
• 1/2 cup- masoor daal.
• 1/4 tsp- fresh ground pepper.
• 1/4 tsp- whole peppercorns.
• 1 tsp- salt.
• 4 -green chillies.
• a few -curry leaves.
• 1 pinch -asafoetida.
• 1 tbsp -ghee.
• 1 tbsp- oil.
• 1 tbsp -green coriander.
- Wash rice and dal and drain water completely.
- In a large saucepan, heat ghee and oil on medium heat.
- Slit green chillies lengthwise. Fry the green chillies, curry leaves, pepper powder and peppercorns.
- Add the rice, dal and asafoetida to this and fry for 3 mins.
- Add 4.5 cups of water, salt and cover the sauce pan.
- Cook it on medium heat till the rice and dal become very soft and keep stirring in between to avoid burning. Add more water if necessary.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with coconut chutney.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi