|1. Soak chole (chickpeas) overnight or use canned chick peas easily available in the market.
2. Add water, salt and pressure cook over medium heat until soft. (If canned chick peas are already boiled then avoid this step)
3. In a separate frying pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves and bay leaves. Allow it to crackle.
4. Now add onion paste and fry until golden brown. Add ginger paste and saute for a minute.
5. Now add tomato paste or puree and fry until oil separates.
6. Now add kasoori methi, red chilli powder, chana masala powder and fry for 2 minutes. Add some water to make a thick paste.
7. Pour this masala on boiled chole, add lemon juice, salt and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
8. Garnish with sliced onion, green chilies and fresh coriander.
9. Sarve with bhatura or jeera rice.