• 1 – long Bottle Gourd
• 1 tbsp – chopped Ginger
• 1 tbsp – chopped Green chillies
• 5-6 – Curry leaves
• 1 tsp – Urad Dal
• 1 tsp – Jeera
• 1 tsp – mustard
• 1/2 tsp – Asafoetida
• 1/4 tsp – Turmeric
• 1-2 – Red Chillies
• 1 tbsp – Oil
• Salt to taste
- Peel the bottle gourd and chop into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the urad dal, jeera, and let it brown for a minute.
- Then add the red chillies, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and asafoetida.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter add the green chillies, and ginger, fry for another minute.
- Now add the washed and chopped bottle gourd pieces and turmeric.
- Let the gourd get coated with the seasoning. Fry for a few minutes.
- Then add salt and cover the kadai and cook on slow fire for about 12 – 15 minutes or till the pieces soften.
- Garnish with some finely chopped cilantro leaves and serve hot with rotis or rice with ghee.
Recipe courtesy of Padmaja