• 400 g – tender brinjal, cut into 1″ cubes and kept in salt water
• 1 – Onion (medium), cut into small pieces
• 8 – red chillies, broken into small pieces
• 1/2 tsp – cumin
• 1 tbsp – Channa dal, soaked in water for 1/2 hour
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• a pinch of Asafoetida
• 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• 2 tbsp or less – oil
• 8 – Curry leaves
• 1 tbsp – chopped Coriander leaves
• 1 tbsp – Coconut gratings or desiccated Coconut powder
- Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Fry until the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add the onion pieces and fry until pink and soft.
- Add turmeric powder, brinjal pieces, salt and the channa dal.
- Sprinkle some water. Cover and put on simmer until the brinjal and dal become soft.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and coconut powder, stir once and remove from the heat.
- Serve with chapathi or plain rice and sambar.
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra