• 1/2 tbsp – active Dry yeast
• 1 cup – warm water
• 4 to 4.5 cups – flour
• 3 tbsp – Sugar
• 1 tsp – salt
• 2 tbsp – unsalted butter, softened
• 2 tsp – Caraway seeds
• Milk as required
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (105-115 F).
- Set aside for 5 minutes. Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, butter, and caraway seeds in mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add yeast mixture and gradually add remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth – for about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top.
- Cover and let it rise in warm place until double – for about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and shape into a large round loaf.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Brush top of dough with milk.
- Cover and let it rise in warm place until double – about 45 minutes or until done.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Recipe courtesy of Amal Abraham