• 1 medium sized Cucumber
• 25 g – coarsely ground Peanuts
• 2 to 3 Green chillies
• Â½ tsp – Cumin seeds
• Â¼ tsp – Mustard Seeds
• a pinch Asafoetida (optional)
• 1 tsp – Lemon or Tamarind juice
• 1 tbsp – Ghee
• 2 tbsp – fresh grated Coconut
• 1 to 2 tbsp – finely chopped Coriander leaves
• Sugar and salt to taste
- Peel the cucumber, slicing off the ends.
- Taste one end to check whether it is bitter.
- If it is, rub the cut slice by turns on both ends of the vegetable to pull out the bitterness.
- Chop the cucumber fine.
- If you dice the cucumber much before serving, store it in the fridge or it may release too much liquid.
- Just before serving, transfer the chilled cucumber to a serving bowl and mix with the peanuts, salt, sugar, lime or tamarind juice and Â¾ of the coriander and coconut (never add the salt in advance).
- For seasoning:
- Heat the ghee in a seasoning wok, till it is almost smoking.
- Reduce the heat; pop the mustard seed and green chillies into it.
- Remove from the stove and add cumin seed and asafoetida.
- Pour this mixture over the salad and stir well.
- Garnish with the remaining coconut and coriander.
- Serve with a meal or snack.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja