• 300 g – flour or Maida
• 250 g – Butter
• 250 g – powdered Sugar
• 3 eggs (whites beaten well separately)
• 1 tsp – baking powder
• 2 tsp – chopped Orange or Lemon peel
• 100g – black currants, chopped
• 2tps – date syrup (for colour)
• 2 – Cloves
• 2 – small pieces of cinnamon, powdered
• 1 tsp – vanilla essence
• 1/4 tsp – salt
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Dust the orange/ lemon peel and chopped black currants with a little flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar well.
- Add egg yolks, date syrup, cinnamon and clove powder and vanilla.
- Essence and mix well.
- Add the orange/ lemon peel and black currants.
- Slowly add the egg whites and flour and fold in well.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little milk.
- Pour into a greased and papered baking tin or dish and bake in a slow oven for about 40-45 mins.
- Remove from the oven when done and set aside to cool.
Recipe courtesy of Bridget White