• 1 cup – short grain rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
• 1 cup – mixed vegetables, chopped (carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower)
• 1 stalk – Curry leaves
• 1 – Bay Leaf
• 1/2 inch piece – Cinnamon
• 1 – Cardamom
• 2 to 3 – Black Peppercorns
• 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
• Lemon juice to taste
• Salt to taste
- Put 4 cups water to boil.
- Add vegetables and bring back to boil.
- Cook till vegetables are soft but not mushy.
- Drain, saving all water. Keep both aside.
- Boil rice in plenty of salted water including that drained from vegetables.
- Cook till just about done, keeping each grain separate.
- Drain, cover and keep for 10 mins.
- Empty into a large plate and spread to cool.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add seeds.
- Add whole spices and curry leaves.
- When lightly roasted, add boiled vegetables.
- Add salt, stir and take off fire.
- Pour onto cooled rice and mix well with fingers without breaking rice grains.
- Transfer to a microwave dish and heat for 2 mins on high before serving.
- Serve hot with kadhi or curd.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering