• 1 cup – Arborio rice, washed and soaked for 15 minutes
• 1 cup – fresh curds
• 2 cups – hot water
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Urad Dal grains
• 1 stalk – Curry leaves
• 1 – whole Red Chilli
• 5 to 6 – peppercorns
• 2 to 3 pinches – Asafoetida powder
• Salt, to taste
- Heat pressure pan well. Put in urad dal, dry roasting till very light brown.
- Add mustards seeds, allow to pop.
- Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, chilli, peppercorns.
- Allow to splutter and pop. Then add hot water.
- Bring to a boil and add rice. Allow boiling to resume.
- Add beaten curd, stirring continuously all the while.
- When boiling resumes, add salt to taste.
- Cover and pressure-cook for 2 whistles.
- Take off heat, allow steam to die down.
- Open and serve piping hot with stuffed chilli or lime pickle.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering