• 1.5 cups – dry Coconut powdered
• 1 cup – Jaggery grated
• 2 cups – plain flour
• 1/2 tsp – crushed Cardamom seeds
• 15-20 Saffron strands, rubbed in 1 tsp hot Milk
- Mix coconut and jaggery in a nonstick pan.
- Heat, and cook stirring continuously to avoid burning.
- When mixture becomes a soft lump, add cardamom and saffron.
- Mix, take off fire, keep aside to cool a little.
- Make a thick batter of plain flour and warm water.
- Transfer to a large heavy deep container, cook mixture, stirring continously.
- When lump resembles a soft dough, take off fire, cool to handle.
- Make a thick patty of a portion of flour dough, place a small lump of coconut mixture in the centre.
- Fold and mould dough to cover filling, and shape round or like a modak.
- After filling all modaks, steam in an idli cooker or double boiler with perforated upper section.
- Steam for 15 minutes, and serve hot or warm or cold, as desired.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi