• 250 g – Channa dal
• 1 cup – mixed vegetables (carrot, potatoes, green peas, brinjal, yellow pumpkin, raw papaya, casaba root)
• 2 – small Onions finely chopped
• 2 flakes – Garlic and one small piece of Ginger grated
• 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 2 tsp – cumin
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 2 – Tomatoes
• 4 – Dried red chillies
• Salt to taste
• 1/2 bunch – coriander leave
- Soak the dal for about 1 hour
- Put the soaked dal and the vegetables along with tomatoes and water in a cooker.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to it. Pressure cook it for 10-15 mins, till the dal and vegetables are tender
- Roast the cumin seeds and red chillies ( without oil) and grind to make it powder
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, after it splutters, add the chopped onions.
- After one minute add the grated ginger and garlic.
- When the onions turn brown, pour the contents of the cooker into it and boil for 2-3 mins
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cumin-chilli powder to it
- Then sprinkle the coriander leaves over it. Serve hot with rice or roti
Recipe courtesy of Amita Mishra