• 2 cups – mixed vegetables, chopped finely (raw papaya, Bottle Gourd and squash)
• 4 – green chillies, slit vertically
• 4 – Garlic flakes, crushed
• 3 stalks – Curry leaves
• 1 – onion, chopped finely
• 2 to 3 – dried red chillies, whole
• 1 – fresh coconut, scraped
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 4 cups – fresh buttermilk
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
• 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
• To taste – salt
- Grind coconut, cumin and garlic together to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Mix chopped mixed veggies, turmeric, 1 stalk curry leaves and green chillies.
- Add 1.5 tbsps of water and cook in a deep vessel, till the vegetables are soft.
- Add ground paste, after cooling the vegetables a little.
- Add buttermilk. Warm again, stirring gently and continuously.
- Do not bring to a boil, or mixture will curdle.
- Take off fire and pour into a serving dish.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Allow it to splutter. Add broken red chillies and onions.
- Stir-fry for a minute and pour over the kalan to season.
- Serve with rice, appams, and papadams.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering