Indian pickle made with gooseberry or amla pickled in oil and various blends of spices
2 1/2 cups (500 gm) amla (Indian gooseberry)
3 tablespoon peeli sarson (yellow mustard seeds)
1/2 tablespoon methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/4 tablespoon whole black pepper
1/4 tablespoon clove
1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
2 cups oil
2 1/2 tablespoon salt
1. Wash amla and cut into four equal portions, discarding all the seeds.
2. Blanch amla until tender.
3. Remove and dry them completely.
4. Dry roast fennel and cumin seeds together and crush coarsely.
5. Heat oil and turn off the gas.
6. When oil is warm, add asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, yellow mustard seeds, black pepper, clove, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fennel and cumin powder and salt.
7. Keep aside to cool.
8. Add completely dry amla into the mixed spices and mix well.
9. Amla should be completely immersed in oil mixture, leaving 2 cm of oil border on top. If not then heat appropriate amount of oil, cool it and mix with the amla achar.
10. Store the Achar in a porcelain jar and keep it in a dry place.
11. Achar will be ready to eat in a week’s time.